The single greatest living Canadian since Stompin’ Tom Connors, who loudly and proudly celebrates his latest Date of Birth on July Five, tell us all:
1. “Munsters” or “Addams Family”: Which one’s for you, and Why?
Well, Munsters of course, since Lily Munster aka Yvonne De Carlo (R.I.P.) was born in my hometown of Vancouver, British Columbia.
2. Who in the world, living or dead, would you most like to play a game of “Twister” with?
I dunno. But who cares about me! Little Richard played Isy’s Supper Club in Vancouver in 1968!
3. How many Sid King & The Five Strings records do you own?
Gary, I don’t know who Sid King & The Five Strings are! Please, oh please tell me, Nardwuar the Human Serviette, who Sid King & The Five Strings are:
[ well, Nardwuar, simply check out my piece on ’em in Visible Ink Press’ Music Hound Rock: The Essential Album Guide, OK? ]
4. Got any good Brian Wilson stories?
No, Gary. Please inform us, again. Yeah, tell us about Brian Wilson’s RAP album! I know he did a good rap album.
[ NO comment! ]
5. “Ginger” or “Mary Ann”: Which one’s for you?
Mary Ann (R.I.P.), because she appears in a video by the band Squirtgun for the song called “Mary Ann”. Squirtgun features a guy called Mass, who also played in a band called The Potatomen with Larry Livermore who saw the Sex Pistols at Winterland and The Syndicate Of Sound kick it out in Detroit! Interestingly enough, I once interviewed Gilligan. Check the interview out.
6. What single song, living or dead, do you most wish you’d written… and Why Didn’t You?
The Counts from Seattle circa 1964 and their toon “Turn On.” Check it out here.
7. Whose Farfisa organ would you most like to be reincarnated as?
The Farfisa for the Five Canadians, a 1960’s group from… Texas. Yes, the Five Canadians were from Texas. Huh? They took the name because their manager believed (read carefully) “a band that people THOUGHT were from Canada would get more airplay.” Genius.
8. In 2000 words or less, Your Hopes, Aspirations and Goals, musical and otherwise, for your life and your country?
I just want everyone to smile, and I love cheese. Doot doola doot doo…
Nardwuar as Gilligan photo courtesy of Scott Livingstone.
Thank you, Scott …and Thank You, Nardwuar! Happy Happy Birthday.